History of AHEPA Hospital

The peripheral general hospital of Thessaloniki, AHEPA, that in 2012 completed 59 years being in activity, is closely associated since its foundation with the medical school of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

Photo Archieve

AHEPA Hospital in 1952 The 1st Council with Leader proff Xanthakis 1952 Pediatrics Opening 22-4-1956 AHEPA Cooking locations 1958 Central Gate to AHEPA Hospital 1967 Construction of buildings internal yuard 1984 New Blood Donation Unit 1995

The medical school that was found in 1942 had been in operation for ten years in old hospitals, tobacco warehouses and other buildings. It was the tough time for the school.

From 1947 to 2003 we see the following events: 

1947

The AHEPANS, after great effort and activity of the new, at that time, medical school and thanks to the surgeon professor Marinos Sigalas, decided to support the foundation of a contemporary hospital in Thessaloniki. This is how the history of AHEPA hospital begins.

1951

During the 25th anniversary of Aristotle University, the new hospital was inaugurated, but actually came into operation on March 1953. It was the first new hospital in Thessaloniki, forty years after its liberation.

The primary AHEPA consisted of two two-storeyed wards and, from the beginning, it was designed and manufactured according to the patterns of the middle-size provincial American hospitals at that time.

1953

According to the donators' specifications and decisions, in 1953 the AHEPA hospital totally commanded 120 beds, three surgery clinics, one pathological clinic, the corresponding outpatient's departments and four laboratories (radiological, microbiological, biological chemistry's and pathological).

For Thessaloniki, the hospital was a gem that would gain pan Hellenic fame and recognition, thanks to its services

1955

The continually increasing needs, not only of the medical school but also of Thessaloniki and generally of Macedonia for hospitalization, imposed the continuous extension of the hospital and, unfortunately, the deterioration of its physiognomy in the interior. In all these restructures, there was a lack of a united prescriptive plan of development.

In 1955, thanks to the donation of the Swedish philanthropic organization RAEDDA BARNER, a new paediatric ward with 100 beds, was build and fully outfitted. The University paediatric clinic was established in this ward in 1958.

The reputation of the hospital spread everywhere and, simultaneously, the demand of its services impressively increased.

1967

One more wards came into operation that totally commanded 250 beds (obviously, it was the ward that had been planned to be built according to the law A.N. 1828/1951). Hence, at that time, the AHEPA hospital totally commanded approximately 500 beds.

1969

In 1969, the enlargement of this ward started, by building one more floor. This floor was ready to operate with 55 beds at the end of 1981 and it was there, where the preparatory surgical clinic was established. In 1969, the construction of a new ward also began in the internal yard. This ward was ready to be handed in 1984 and it was there, where the heartsurgery clinic was established, commanding 26 beds and also the intensive supervision unit with 6 beds and the surgery of the heartsurgery clinic.

1987

In 1987, the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki allotted the buildings of neuropsychiatric institute (a five-floor building and two two-storeyed buildings), whose construction started in 1979, to the AHEPA hospital. These buildings constituted the only solution for the hospital, despite the fact that their construction hadn't been completed. So, after the fulfillment of the essential works, in November 1987, storeys of these buildings came into operation. Todays in these buildings are established and operate:

  • in the five-floor building, the A' and B' neurological clinics, the neurosurgery clinic, the specific aseptic treatment unit, the intensive anesthesiology treatment unit, the neuroscience laboratories, the medical library and the managerial administrative services.
  • in the two- storeyd buildings, the A' pathological clinic, the C' surgical clinic, the psychiatric clinic, the nuclear medicine department and the laboratories of the A' pathological clinic.

1990

In 1990, one more new ward was completed and fully equipped, where the tactical outpatient's departments were established and came into operation. In the place, where they had been operating till that time, the urgent department was established. Simultaneously, the development of the brief hospitalization unit was under consideration in this place.

1986-1993

Statistical Information: In 1986, the hospital had 625 available beds, which in 1993 reached 679, showing an increase of 8.6%. Moreover, the number of examined patients showed an important increase of the order of 32.8%; in other words 122,746 patients in 1993 compared with 92,414 in 1986. The total number of laboratory examinations more than doubled, reaching the figure 5,494,786 in 1993, compared with the 2,269,327 that had been performed in 1986. Another important milestone was the reduction in the average hospitalisation duration by 26.5%. That is, from 8.57 days in 1986 down to 6.33 days in 1993. In step with the above-mentioned reduction, during the same time period, the bed occupancy rate reduced from 86.5% to 73.88%; the number of deaths from 732 to 726 and the mortality rate from 3.19% to 2.51%.

1995

A further hospital wing was put into operation – the Blood Donation Unit, in which are situated the Neognologiki Clinic, the Mediterranean Anaemia Unit and Magnetic and Axial Tomography.

2001

In 2001, the scientific departments of AHEPA covered almost the whole breadth of medical science specialities, corresponding with citizens' needs for hospital care. The departments included scientific medical-nursing departments, morning and afternoon out-patients, intensive care, diagnostic laboratories, blood donation centre and education etc. These provide first, second and third degree care for a total of population of 1,453,183 residents of the region. The region contains the prefectures of Thessaloniki, Kilkis, Serres and Halkidiki. Moreover, the hospital is also responsible for the administration of two Health Centres, namely, Sohou and Neas Madytou.

2002

With the publication of Law 2889/2001 and based on article 16, paragraph 3 of the administrative committee of the hospital, it was decided to implement a change in the name of the hospital, replacing Regional with University. This was ratified with a decision made on 25th April 2002.

2003

The hospital submitted for the first time its Business Plan for the next 5 years, in which is included analytically all that is planned to happen, based on the current legislative framework. In addition, was submitted the new Organisation of Hospital, which awaits ratification.

2004

Operates for the first time the ‘Communication and Civil Service Office’, aiming at the best possible service of people in need of Hospital Services.

Inauguration of the new pediatric emergency room, with better facilities, in order to serve the little patients.

2005

Circulation of the first informative newsletter, called ‘AHEPA pulse’.

Fraternization of AHEPA with the General Hospital of Florina ‘Eleni Dimitriou’

2006

Operates for the first time the model Molecular Blood Control Center inside the Hospital.

 Inauguration of the permanent art gallery, with 60 art items, donated by the Society of Painters of Thessaloniki and Northern Greece.

2007

Inauguration of the new children’s’ playground and the area of creative occupation in the premises of the Oncologic Department of the 2nd Pediatric Clinic.

Reconstruction of the 1st Cardiologic Clinic.

Inauguration by the President of the Hellenic republic Karolos Papoulias, of the Center for Neuromuscular Diseases, under the aegis of the 2nd Pediatric Clinic, in cooperation with the Society of patients with Neuromuscular Diseases, with the intention to support people with neuromuscular diseases.

 2008

Inauguration of the Organization against Drugs (OKANA) outside the premises of the Hospital. 

 2009

Inauguration by Health minister Mrs. Mariliza Xenogiannakopoulou, of the new wing of the Pedo-oncologic Department of the 2nd Pediatric Clinic, donated by the charitable society ‘LAMPSI- Gleams’, in loving memory of Georgios Pantelakis.

2010

Beginning of operation of the Laboratory of Radiation oncologic therapy.

Opening of the 5th Surgery operating theater along with the relevant patient preparation area.

Renovation of a wing of the 1st Internal Medicine  University Clinic of AHEPA.

Construction of an intensive care unit inside the 1st Internal Medicine Clinic.

Inauguration of the new pedocardiologic unit, donated by the charitable society ‘Thermaides’, a branch of the Panhellenic Women’s Association .

 2011

Operation of the Interventional Radiology Laboratory of the Medical School of Aristotle’s University of Thessaloniki in AHEPA Hospital.

Operation of the Outpatient Department of Special Dental Infections inside the 1st Internal Medicine Clinic.

Inauguration of the 5th Surgical operating Theater along with the relevant patient preparation area.

For Further details about AHEPA visit GREEK AMERICAN EDUCTIONAL PROGRESSIVE ORGANISATION - AHEPA