3rd Surgical Dpt
Professor – Director: Isaak Kesisoglou
HistoryThe 3rd Surgery Ward of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki was founded in 1986. Since its foundation, the ward has been directed by professors A. Aidonopoulos, A. Zisiadis, O. Gamvros, S. Papavramidis and I. Kanellos.
The 3rd Surgery Ward TodaySince 2016, the director of the ward is Isaak Kesisoglou. The ward is situated on the ground floor of the new wing of the University Hospital AHEPA and contains 40 beds with the following departments:
- General Surgery.
- Surgery of the Stomach, Small Intestine and Colon.
- Surgery of the Endocrine Glands.
- Laparoscopic Surgery.
- Surgical Oncology – Breast Surgery.
- Surgery of the Liver - Pancreas and Biliary.
- Intensive Care Unit.
The Clinic is a center of excellence and covers the entire spectrum of modern General Surgery, providing high quality services. Annually, the ward performs in the region of 1000 surgeries. There are 6 operating theaters, a classroom and auxiliary spaces. The outpatients’ department operates twice a week.
Educational, Research and Clinical Work
- Our educational work includes the training of undergraduate and postgraduate students of the Medical School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki as well as fellows and trainees. The training of students, fellows and trainee doctors involves theoretical as well as practical aspects and is carried out by the faculty members of the Clinic. The ward organizes annual Postgraduate study programme in General Surgery.
- Our research work of the word includes the preparation of clinical and experimental studies and original doctoral theses.
- Our clinical work includes clinical and laboratory investigation, diagnosis and treatment of patients hospitalized in the ward.